Monday 18 March 2013

El Nivedha...

Yeah so I am soaking in this whole Spanish thing hence the weird title ! But I must say that I find Spain much more fascinating than France, I know people prefer France and her cities and they probably wouldn't understand why I like Spain over France but meh what the hell.
I feel Spain is a very underrated country, we did a walking tour of Madrid yesterday, a strange feeling of revisiting history classes at school but much more fun than school obviously ! Our guide had people volunteer and enact 200 years of Spanish history in a very fun way, I must say that I prefer to learn history this way than sitting in classes while everyone contemplates if they want to just go for it and sleep on the desk or practice the art of sleeping with eyes open.
Now lets talk about food shall we ? After having eaten food loaded with butter with a side of butter in Paris, the explosion of flavors on my tongue is something that I am enjoying right now. After being told by the guide that there is a bar which gives free food for every beer we order it was obvious where we would be going for dinner that night. The tapas that we got for the beer were infused with Spanish flavors that I couldn't help but think that I am Spanish !
The very first day in Madrid we went to a cafe and the waiter forgot to pass on our order to the kitchen and I was super hungry, after the cafe people realized the mistake they gave us free accompaniment with our food, now how is that for a little Spanish hospitality ?
Then we went to San Miguel market which was just food paradise ! The food you get there simply makes you wonder how you managed to survive all these years without having gotten to sample them ! From the succulent Gulas, a fish indigenous to the Northern Spain to the Paella and some sangria for 2 euros ! While I have seen most of the Parisians getting done with dinner at 8 or something, Spanish people start their day at 10 in the night. From what I have noticed the Spanish are more laid back and have a much more philosophical approach to life than the French who seem to be stuck up perfectionists, not that there is anything wrong in being a perfectionist.
My typical day in Madrid starts off by waking up to the considerate noise that my roommates make and after a shower go down to the common room and feast on some churros loaded with oil and sprinkled with sugar, walk around Madrid and gobble anything that looks remotely interesting whenever I feel hungry, walk around more only to feel so exhausted that we come back to hostel and I take a nice long nap and get woken up just in time for dinner and come back to the hostel after dinner just when the entire city is prepping for a long and fun night !
Long story short, I like Madrid better than Paris !

No comments:

Post a Comment