Wednesday 6 March 2013

Latitude, Longitude and Altitude with a smidgen of Attitude !

First off, I am sorry I tried to make the title as attractive as possible !

Three months in the City of Lights I have been doing nothing but cooking and baking. No sight seeing, no soaking in culture, no nothing ! Three months I have been learning only about cooking and a little bit about life. But there is something I realized today, not only have I been learning how to cook at school, I have also been learning the rich Geographical diversity of France ! Every dish they teach they pose a question asking where the dish is from and they immediately take out this huge map of France and start explaining about the region to us and the other things the region is famous for. I have to say something if I can say something I think I am much better in French Geography than my own country's. Well there is nothing to complain since Geography was one of my favorite subjects at school . But what amuses me the most is that every chef seems to be proud of the region that they are from and when the dish that they cook is from their region they immediately become super excited, like little children ! The pride and the attitude that they have about their region is extremely amusing but also touching I must say. I can see the pressure for them to perform, I mean obviously when you are cooking something from your region it is expected to be really good and of course they cook it really well.

Every time I learn new things when it comes to Geography, I mean I seem to remember the region and the products exclusively from those regions better than the quantity of flour in Gateau Basque or the cooking time of rice "au gras". It is good to have knowledge in things generally, you know when you talk about your dish it will be nice to talk about the region of origin and other factors of the region, but remembering the geography of regions isn't going to help me out much in practical examinations if I don't remember the quantity of ingredients and quality of cooking as such ! So here's hoping that I can remember everything that I am supposed to remember for the exams and do well in it...

No comments:

Post a Comment